March BA Career Series - User Stories
User Stories: What's the point and why do we use them?
FREE Virtual Partnership Event
Thursday, March 16, 2023
7:00 PM - 8:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time (GMT - 4 hours)
In our BA Career Series sessions, in partnership with Ryland Leyton and other IIBA chapters, we will investigate specialized and complementary careers in business analysis, such as Agile Analyst, Business Relationship Management, Change Management, Product Ownership Analyst, Project Management, and others.
User stories are a core technique for most agile frameworks. Why is that? Why are they valuable, and are there any alternatives?
In this session we'll discuss:
- Why user stories are such a universal practice, the limitations they impose.
- The good, the bad, and the ugly of using user stories.
- We'll talk about alternatives (such as Job stories and Hypothesis stories) and where they fit into good practice.
- We’ll talk about some of the common mistakes in agile practice when using stories. (Hint: not everything is a user story, and not everything should be!)
As with all Ryland's talks, this session will allow lots of time for Q&A so we can focus on what's important to you!
- Understand why user stories are a common technique in agile frameworks and why.
- Understand best & worst practices around user stories.
- Understand alternatives to user stories.
Education Hours: 1.5 CDUs for IIBA Recertification (1.5 PDs - Only for ECBA exam applications)
Price: F R E E
Location: Online via Zoom
Speaker: Ryland Leyton, CBAP, PMP, CSM, SA4, Agile Coach | Speaker | Author
Ryland Leyton is an avid Agile advocate & coach, business analyst, author, speaker, and educator. He has worked in the technology sector since 1998, starting with database and web programming, gradually moving through project management, and finding his passion in the BA and Agile fields. He has been a core team member of the IIBA Agile Extension to the BABOK and the IIBA Agile Analysis Certification. Ryland has written popular books on BA Agility and career topics. He can be reached at www.RylandLeyton.com.